Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Harold Earl Merk 1916-1982

Today I want to state that I am so thankful to my Uncle Harold Merk for taking and sharing all his pictures.  I wish I had known him better than I did.  He is just a shadowy background figure to me.  I recall a lot about Aunt Fleta but not dear Uncle Harold.  When my brother passed away last year, his friend from High School said he was a "self made" man.  I give that title to Uncle Harold--he was a self made man, plus a loving son, husband, father and grandfather.  Happy Birthday 99th, Uncle Harold!!
 When Harold Earl Merk was born on October 8, 1916, in West Plains, Missouri, his father, Arnold, was 35 and his mother, Mary, was 25. He married Fleta Alleen Powell on May 28, 1938, in Boone County, Arkansas. They had one child during their marriage. He died on March 10, 1982, in Titusville, Florida, at the age of 65.
 Uncle Harold's mother--Mary Wheeler Merk--Uncle Harold said on his mother's death certificate that her father was Benjamin Wheeler and her mother was Cyntha King.  After Benjamin Levi Wheeler died I think Cyntha let another family take Mary Ann for a while and that started the tale of "being adopted".  It was a family in Kansas that took her for a while is my belief.
Harold's father was Arnold Merk Jr.  The Merk family came to America from Switzerland. Harold had one full brother, named Charles Arnold Merk, but he died in a fire when he was 17.  Mary and Arnold Jr. divorced in 1924 and Mary took Harold.  Charles stayed with his father.  His father lived near West Plains, MO.
Harold Earl Merk had an early life full of saddness, unlike the close family existence his wife, Aunt Fleta grew up in!  He had at least one step-father and a mother that demanded a lot from him.  How did he develop into the wonderful father he was!  Grace of God, is my guess.
Here is what Cousin Winnie wrote about her father in 2006--
My tribute to my Dad:
You know Dad didn't have too many years here on Earth, but I know that he sure impacted the lives of many people - especially mine!
My Dad was called "Merk" by everyone or "Uncle Merk" or "Grandpa Merk" - Mom wasn't crazy about the name Harold, and somehow "Hal" just didn't fit. It was years and years before my cousins Jim and Skip ever knew that his name was Harold.
Dad and I did everything together when he wasn't working those really long hours at McDonnell. We both loved the outdoors and he would take me hunting, fishing, boating , water skiing - you know, I never ended up shooting anything, but it was just great being with Dad. At least, Dad bought me jeans and boots to wear and I didn't have to wear the frilly dresses Mom loved for me to wear.
Dad was probably the most honest, fair, straight shooter I have every known. His word was truly his bond- which is remarkable for the way he was brought up! He always made sure that I knew that he loved me - he said those words were never spoken to him before he married the love of his life - my Mom.
He was unbelievably respected at work, although it was truly a huge ulcer factory. In St.Louis he was a General Forman in charge of the final flight line. The big wigs from the service would always come to Dad and ask when a plane was going to be ready to fly - which meant they did not believe Dad's supervisors, and he would always tell them the truth to the best of his ablility. Many times his honestly cost him promotions - but you know, when he transferred to Florida from St. Louis, I think every custodian in the plant wanted to shake his hand before he left. To Mom and I that spoke volumes.
Dad was so proud that I graduated from College, married Mike and had two beautiful children. He really did bust his "buttons" about his two grandchildren. I am so happy that they both still remember him. I do remember Cindy crying when Grandpa died and she said, "but who is going to fix my broken toys?"
To Dad I was always "Jo" or "Gizmo" - to me he was "Dad" or "Daddy". He just had a special way about him, if he said something, you had better do it right then. I ask him once after I had kids, "how did you accomplish that with me?" He just smiled and said, " you will figure out the formula, I know you are going to be a great Mom."
Dad's heart was just not strong and he suffered several heart attacks after he retired at the age of 55. He actually had a near -death experience during one of his episodes. I remember standing at his bedside and he reached out and held my hand and said, "Jo, I am really no longer afraid of dying - I am really at peace about it." "Jo, I want you to be at peace about it because I know I am going to a better place where I will wait for you". This really had an impact on my life and at Dad's funeral Mom and I were able to rejoice and celebrate Dad's wonderful life. I miss him more than words can say, but when I look down at my hands and see my Dad's hands, I always smile and say a short prayer of thankfulness for my Dad.
 Fleta Powell and Harold Merk
The courtship after S of O from Winnie Jo Merk Sneed--
I've heard the story, but now some of it is fuzzy. It seems that after graduation Dad went to St.Louis to work for Monocoupe and was engaged to someone named Jane. I think Grandma Merk broke up the relationship. Well, anyway Dad got Mom's address where she was working in Michigan and wrote that he would like for her to come down to St.Louis. She scraped up bus fair and went to St.Louis and met Dad and then they drove down to meet Grandma and Grandpa.
The courtship was short because it was obvious to both of them that they really had been in love for a long time. They were married in Harrison Arkansas by a Justice of the Peace on May 27, 1938. They said the lady that was their witness gave them a scouring pad and told them that they were now going to have to "scatch for it". That was the only wedding present that they received.
They moved to St.Louis and lived with Grandma Merk (not a good situation). The first time Grandpa Powell met her he said, "Flete you better watch out for that old gal - she is a mean one!" Truer words were never spoken!
They lived in St.Louis until the summer of 1939 and then they moved with Monocoupe down to Orlando Florida - another story later.

 Fleta and Harold with her sister watching over them.
 Fleta and Harold
 Harold and Fleta with his motorcycle
 Harold's Dad Arnold Merk is the taller man in the back picture.
Fleta and Harold
in 1940, Harold worked in Florida!
Cousin Jim Reed's wedding--The Reeds with Harold, Fleta and Winnie Jo

 Harold with his nephew, Jim Reed.
 Harold and his daughter, Winnie Jo Merk
Harold's half brother, Willard Edward Innis
 Harold's beautiful daughter, Winnie Jo



No comments:

Post a Comment