Friday, March 22, 2024

Ancestry Free...

 This morning I logged on to my old Ancestry account to see what I could see with a Free Ancestry Account.  

This is the screen I saw.


I could see my DNA results and DNA matches.  The DNA matches gave the same initial data you see with a paid account.  When I clicked on a match, I got a summary of matchings individuals in the matches tree, and matching surnames in the matched tree.  At the bottom of the screen, I could see the matches DNA Origins summary next to my DNA Summary. I could not see any of my matches actual family tree. Still, I could see all matches with comparison of their tree to the tree my DNA was linked to. Since my DNA is not linked to a tree under this account name, I also could not see the tree my DNA was linked to. I could see when Ancestry said the match and I shared a common ancestor, but could not see the display of the common ancestor.

I could search ancestry records freely.  The results displayed were limited. Anything owned out right by Ancestry had data like birth / death dates and locations blurred.  However, happily, I could see every Find a Grave match, which is helpful because Find A grave's search feature makes it difficult to find matches.  You basically need to know where the individual is buried to for Find A Grave searches.

I could also see complete 1880 census results, including the census image.  I could see other census results, like say 1910, 1920.  I could not see the other actual census images, and I do not remember if it told the state or county location on the list.

There were a few other things in the search results that I could view complete results, but exactly what these were escapes me now.  I am sure if my DNA results were linked to a tree under my account name, I would have been able to see my own tree.

My opinion is that an unpaid Ancestry account would be useful in genealogy research, especially for individuals with extensive genealogy experience.  The DNA results would likely provide more frustration than useful results in finding ancestors.



1 comment: