Thursday, July 19, 2018

Goldman Powell born 1817, son of Charles and Leah Goldman Powell


Leah’s Song

 

 

Don’t start askin’ questions

about the death of Charles Powell,

Or about our twelve children,

‘cause I’m pretendin’ now.

I’m rocking little Goldman

and smoothin’ down his hair,

I’m waitin’ here for Charles

come ridin’ his black mare.

Our supper’s ‘hind his saddle

and he’s whistlin’ a merry tune.

I’m just rockin’little Goldman

‘cause Charles’ll be here soon.

Don’t start askin’questions

‘cause it’s more than I can bear,

So I’m singin’ to little Goldman

and smoothin’ down his hair.

You can’t stop my pretendin’

with worries of what and how,

‘Cause I’m rockin’ little Goldman,

and waitin’ for Charles Powell.

 

 

January 24, 1993  © Betty Powell Renfroe

No comments:

Post a Comment