Saturday, January 9, 2016

Ozark Hill Farm criteria 1900


This is the Boaz Aday family somewhere in the mountains of Arkansas or Missouri around the turn of the century.  Boaz was a son of Horatio and Sarah Aday of Searcy County, Arkansas born about 1858.  He married in Mary Elizabeth McNeely in Carroll County, Arkansas in 1889. In 1900 the lived in Barry County, Missouri just north of Carroll County.  In 1910, they lived near Winslow, Arkansas in Washington County.  I am not sure where they lived when this photo was taken, but it was somewhere in the Ozarks. I love the picture because it shows so much about a typical Ozark farm family of that time, even to include the mule.

1 comment:

  1. I think your mule is just a jack ass. And I think this gives real meaning to the term "dirt poor". I always thought those Adays in Searcy County (Horatio) was someway related to Larry's Grandmother. Her maiden name was Hensley and her mother was a Denton.

    ReplyDelete