Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Great Minds Think Alike

Two of my sisters and I have always loved genealogy and our favorite line was our surname--Powell!!  One of our big adventures was publishing a newsletter about the Powell family, The Powell Times and Lines.  I think that was twenty years ago.  The three of us wrote articles and mailed it to subscribers across the U.S.  We submitted our brothers Y DNA to the Family Treemaker project.   We have a genealogy site where we have shared our finds with the world.  We have a site at Rootsweb and at Ancestry.  This year I had my DNA tested with  Ancestry.  We have only been in this adventure a couple of months and we have 500 cousin matches to explore.  We are testing our father's 85 year old cousin now and hope for new finds.   We know the cousin matches work as some of the matches have no pedigree to show, but because we know so much about our family lines we know the submitter is a cousin.

I am the third sister.   There were five of us.  One of our sisters never was bitten by the genealogy bug.  One of the sisters was born with Down's syndrome.  On November 28 of 2014, our oldest sister crossed the bar.   So now, on earth working on this project, there are only two of us, but perhaps Patsy is pointing out new things from above.   She always felt a strong tie to the poor, down trodden ancestors we discovered.   One of her favorites was Duke Whalebone.  She would be thrilled to know we match his ancestors as a cousin.

So Sister and I are off on a new adventure and I am excited about the road we are taking.   I am a dreamer and speculator but Sister looks at facts and hopefully she will keep me from going off on tangents.

Sister Patsy--we are dedicating this to you.   We were finding new information and validating old.  Sister and I both wanted to cry out--"no one to tell, no one ask, no one cares".   Hopefully, we can find someone who wants to know and someone who cares with "The Three Sisters Blog"!

No comments:

Post a Comment