Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Robert Melton Powell & Gertrude Lee Maples---The Teachers

The Label Powell Merk Collection 
Are Pictures Owned by our Dear Cousin
Winnie Sneed of Kansas City, MO

Winnie remembers her grandparents!

Remembering our Grandparents:

When I think back and remember our grandparents, a smile always comes across my face. They treated me with such love and affection and WOW what role models they were!

I really don't ever remember them saying one cross word to me. Grandpa always had concerns that I might get hurt, but he soon learned that I could take care of myself.

I often tell people that my grandparents were certainly ahead of most people of their time. The truly valued education. Times were extremely hard and they tried to scratch a living out of the soil. They sold milk, raised chicken and had a fantastic garden and good water. They even survived a cyclone that tore down the house and the barn. But they saved all their children by using feather mattresses and the old oak table.

My Mom (Fleta Powell Merk) always said Grandma hated house work and that as a child she was always disappointed in the way Grandma sewed their clothes. They had absolutely no shape to them, but Mom said she did the best she could - I think she was shocked when she saw what a beautiful hand she had at making quilts.

I know that my faith in God certainly was passed down through my grandparents to Mom and then to me. I use to love to go to Sunny Lane and listen to Grandpa teach - he was so beloved by all his neighbors and the community. Mom always said that whenever someone had a problem or they were sick they would come to "Pop" no matter what the hour or day or night.

I am so glad that I was fortunate to have these two wonderful people in my life - they were a treasure and I look forward someday to seeing them all in Heaven.  Winnie Sneed June 10, 2006
 Grandma and Grandpa Powell married April 16, 1911.  He was 28 years old and she was 20.  The photo Winnie labeled taken on the day they married.  The watch around her neck was given to her by her father as she needed a watch to teach school.  I think she is beautiful and he handsome.  I think the photo below was about the same time, but she had a corsage and he has a different bow tie I think.  Seems they lived here, but maybe it is one of the parent's home? Sister Fleta do you know.  If so edit and correct.

 Winnie puts the date of 1945 on this photo.  Sister Patsy said Grandpa helped selected Grandma's clothes.  This after 34 years together.  She is still beautiful and he still handsome.
Here are their scores from their teaching exam.  Grandpa's is first.  Grandma and Grandpa were competitive.  Daddy told of spelling bees at home in evening as a family endeavor.  Winnie got these from Grandma when she graduated from College, but Grandma had altered the scores so hers was higher.  Winnie caught it right away but just chuckled at the change in scores.  Grandma lowered Grandpa's Physiology score. It was probably 93.  Also, she may have added some points to her Grammar score and lowered his Agriculture score.  They were both excellent scholars.  Grandma had no need to be ashamed as she passed.  Here is Winne's comment.

SATURDAY, JUNE 10, 2006


Teacher's License for Melton and Gertrude

Grandma and Grandpa traveled over to Eureka Springs Arkansas to take their Teacher Test. I hope these came through all right. Grandma gave these to me when I graduated from William Jewell College with my BA in Elementary Education. I was so thrilled to get them.

It seems Grandma saw fit to change the scores before she turned them over to me.

Originally Grandpa's scores were higher than Grandma's. However, once I was given the licenses I noticed that on the scoring there was some blue ink on the score tallies. Some how Grandma came up with a score of 947, where as Grandpa mysteriously ended up with a score of 936. Somehow his Physiology score turned into a 73 - I always thought this was a riot. Of course Mom and Winn said that there was no way that "Mom" beat "Pop" - but you know if it made her happy in 1964, so be it.      It states that both took the test on June 18, 1910 and that you had to have an average of 75% in all Branches. Nothing below 65% to be considered.  Winnie
Both got Grade two licenses.  They could teach through grade 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment