Sunday, September 6, 2015

Helen Cornelias Gaddy 1924-1996

When Helen Cornelias Gaddy was born on September 8, 1924, in Sanger, California, to Elijah Huston and Irene Thomas Gaddy, her father, Elijah, was 29 and her mother, Irene, was 24. She married her first husband, Eldred Gerald Garrison, on February 22, 1945, in Boone County, Arkansas. She divorced him about  1946.  She married her second husband, Darius Arthur Luckey about1946, but I can not find a marriage record.  I think they married in Kansas.  Uncle D. A. Luckey died in1973.  On June 18, 1977, she married her third husband, Norman Otis Young, in Clark County, Nevada. She died on December 4, 1996, in Independence, Missouri, at the age of 72.
Hazel and Helen
about 1935
Aunt Helen at Truman's piano 
 Aunt Helen's Graduation from Omaha High School March 15, 1942
Momma, Grandma, Aunt Helen about 1934
 Grandma in back with hat
Momma on left
Aunt Helen middle front
1932 about
I think this is with Aunt Leona's and her two
girls.  Aunt Leona with glasses, girls by Momma
are Naomi  and Nadine
 Bernita Inman, Jack Inman (on left) with Helen Gaddy and Gerald Garrison on right
 Aunt Helen and Uncle Luckey 1940s or 50s
 Mother's Day 1962
 Gaddy Family with In-laws about 1962

Truman Library Collection
 Truman Library Collection
 Truman Library Collection
 Truman Library Collection

 Truman Library Collection

 Truman Library Collection
 Truman Library Collection
From Aunt Helen's Social Security records.  Patsy said that Aunt Helen divorced Norman Young and from the looks of her record here, Patsy was correct.  She took back the surname Luckey.  Patsy also said Aunt Helen put an end to her life with a gun.
Name:Helen Cornelia Gaddy
[Helen Cornelia Garrison] 
[Helen Luckey] 
[Helen Young] 


Gender:Female
Race:White
Birth Date:8 Sep 1924
Birth Place:Sanger, California
Father Name:Elijah H Gaddy
Mother Name:Irene I Thomas
Death Date:4 Dec 1996
Type of Claim:Original SSN.
Notes:Jan 1943: Name listed as HELEN CORNELIA GADDY; Jun 1945: Name listed as HELEN CORNELIA GARRISON; 13 Nov 1975: Name listed as HELEN CORNELIA LUCKEY; 29 Jul 1977: Name listed as HELEN C YOUNG; 15 Aug 1980: Name listed as HELEN C LUCKEY
Note to Sisters--IF YOU RUN ACROSS PICTURES OF AUNT HELEN, PLEASE EDIT THE POST AND ADD THEM.  I HAVE MORE BUT WILL HAVE TO ADD THEM AS I FIND THEM!

One thing I recall about Aunt Helen that Patsy told me is that she helped Momma try to get to California to see Daddy during WW II.  When he was called overseas. Momma had to turn back toward Arkansas.  She gave us clothes that were hers, but they were excellent quality.
 Uncle Luckey is the baby in this picture of his family.

 This is Gerald "Beans" Garrison
Aunt Helen's first husband
 Gerald Garrison -- first name Eldred
 Aunt Helen and President Truman
 Workers at Truman Library with President
Above Aunt Helen and Uncle Luckey



President Truman Collection


 Aunt Helen and Gerald Garrison
Wedding photo

Eldred Garrison's sister Bessie Mae Garrison married Lloyd Presley.  The Presley's started the big music show at Branson and even have a TV show still today. Here is what I found at Find A Grave about Bessie Mae Garrison.
Birth: Jul. 4, 1923
Cleveland
Pawnee County
Oklahoma, USA
Death: Aug. 12, 2007
Branson
Taney County
Missouri, USA

Bessie Mae Presley, 84, Branson, Missouri. The matriarch of Branson's nationally renowned musical family and owners of Presleys' Country Jubilee, Bessie Mae courageously battled pulmonary fibrosis and diabetes for the past several years.

With a laugh in her voice and a twinkle in her eye until near the very end, she left this Earth in the way she wished, surrounded by members of her large, loving family.

Bessie Mae Garrison and her twin brother, Jesse, were two of eight children. The family moved back to Alpena, Arkansas in the late 1930s where Bessie Mae completed high school in three years. Upon graduation, she moved to Springfield, Missouri to attend Drauhon Business College.

It was at Springfield's Doling Park (at the bumper car rides) that she met her husband-to-be, Lloyd Presley. They were married November 4, 1942, and were nearly inseparable for almost 65 years. The couple, with their four children, lived in Springfield for the first 25 years of their marriage.

In 1967, Lloyd and Bessie Mae moved to Branson, and along with their children, Deanna, Gary, Janice, Steve, Deanna's husband, David Drennon, and Gary's wife, Pat, opened the Mountain Music Theater (now Presleys' Country Jubilee) on Branson's Highway 76. Theirs was the first music theater on what was then a lonesome stretch of asphalt, a far cry from the entertainment mecca Branson is today.

The entire family continued to work numerous outside jobs in the early years. Bessie Mae's steadfast encouragement and tireless dedication inspired the family to persevere year after year as they watched their business grow.

Although never appearing on stage, Bessie Mae's work behind the scenes was a major contributor to the theater's success. Bookkeeping, sewing costumes and selling concessions were among her many jobs through the years. In the last few years, the job she loved the most was greeting the many friends and fans that attended the show.

On June 30, 2007, the Presley family celebrated their 40th anniversary of live performances in Branson. Bessie Mae, together with the other members of her family, was honored by Missouri's Governor Matt Blunt, the State Legislature, City of Branson, the Branson/Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce, and the Taney County Commissioners for their outstanding contributions to the entertainment industry in Branson.

Bessie Mae was beloved by not only her loyal and tight-knit family, but by the Branson community and the many friends she had come to know through her work at the theater over the years. Always ready to help those who might require a hand, she consistently placed her needs behind those of family and friends. It could easily be said that Bessie Mae Presley never met a stranger but if she did, they did not remain a stranger for long.

Bessie Mae Presley is survived by her husband Lloyd of the home; their four children, Deanna Drennon and her husband, David, of Eureka Springs, Ark., Gary and his wife, Pat, Janice Sutherland, Steve and his wife, Raeanne, all of Branson, Mo.; grandchildren, Mike and Gina Drennon, Mindee and James Prosser, Scott and Malinda Presley, Greg Presley, Eric and Kelli Presley, Tina and Matt Couch, Todd Sutherland, Nick and Rhianna Presley, John Presley and Sarah Presley. She was blessed with eight great-grandchildren and a ninth one expected to be born this week. She has two surviving brothers, Virgil and his wife, Katherine, and Jesse and his wife, Geneva, all of Texas. She was preceded in death by her parents; her in-laws; two brothers; and three sisters. 
 Aunt Helen weighed 8 pounds.
This is her birth announcement
 Marriage license to Eldred Garrison
 Aunt Helen and Uncle Luckey at their first home
 Line when President Truman died

 Aunt Helen near Omaha with friend 
She is top middle

Aunt Helen worked for Harry Truman Library until she retired.  She knew President Truman personally.  Aunt Helen was the validictoran of her High School Class at Omaha, Arkansas, and went to a business college, but I am not sure which one.  Aunt Helen was always good to all the sisters. When little sister, Helen, was born,  Aunt Helen told Mama "if her name her for me, I will send her money each year on her birthday".   Mama did and Sister Helen said Aunt Helen always sent her money for her birthday.  I think Aunt Helen had a very happy life with Uncle Luckey, but once he was gone, she did not have a good existance.  She may have developed a mental ailment or the third husband may have been the cause her change.

Grandma Gaddy and Aunt Hettie depended on Aunt Helen when Grandma grew old and Aunt Hettie was unwell.  This was after Grandpa Gaddy died.  I have a letter Grandma wrote me in July of 1984 which I am going to insert here.  Most of the letter is lamenting the loss of her "old Helen" and almost crying out for help.  Grandma passed away in November of 1984, only a few months after writing this.  By this time, Grandma was almost blind, she had no transportation, she had lost about 100 pounds and had no clothes.   Aunt Helen was only 60 at this time so she was not really that old.
 Above is Aunt Helen's resting place on one side of her third husband.  I say sort of a "slap in the face" to my Aunt and below is Grandma's 83 birthday.  Sister Fleta made sure Momma got to go.  You will notice Grandma's thick glasses.  She was almost blind after cataract surgery

July 22, 1984
503 Wallis Harrison, AR
Dear Betty and Family,
It is with great pleasure to write you and to be with you and your family and all of Hazel's girls.  Hazel was the oldest but so fat she can't help with us, Helen married so much and one good man die, the other one sorry.  The first one don't think Helen liked him.  He liked us and Norman did at first or I like him at first.  I thought he was a good man.  Now, he wants to boss her too much.   She don't say much. But I could but hate to.  Norman think he is it and Helen is HIS girl.  He said he will take care of us--Hettie and I.  He calls Helen the kid or daughter and he said before he left last Sunday that he didn't want anything to worry her.  He does, but don't know it.  He thinks that Hettie and I worry her, but if her only knew he worries her worst.  But he thinks he and his daughter are Gods.   Well, I better hush up before I say too much.  If Huston here, he would cut my toe nails.  They hurt!  If I could see, I could go buy a new dress that fit me.  I got the money but don't know why size I need and what kind.  All mine are too big.
Back to Helen
We never heard from them and call his girl (Norman's daughter) she said they were home so I called or get Hettie to call for me (Grandma is all but blind by this time).  I balled them out for not calling or writing to us.  I get him.   He would not shut up.  Too much bull!  So she may call this evening.  But she would not know anything.  She used to be so SMART.  She worked for the president!  She went to good schools--High School and College.  I never got to go much.  Seventh grade and had to stop and work in the fields under my Dad.  He would say, " you girls do this or else".  One day, Clara and I take our Crotchet work to do when we sit down and rest and Leo told on us.  Papa said NEVER again or else.  So you know what that meant.  I had to plant corn cane and so on.  Leona was the baby.  She didn't have to work out in the fields and Eva was Papa's pet!  This is why I can't spell and write and now I cannot see good.  It is too hot to work or do anything now.  May was cold and rainy.
What you doing since you went home.  I often think about what you told me Laura said about Debby, poor little thing, (I do not remember what Laura asked about Deb).  First time I saw her, I knew something was wrong.  We went to the hospital to see Hazel and the baby.  All the rest of you were okay.  I guess Hazel married too young or too many what Thelma said.  (I don't have any idea what Thelma said maybe she is asking me why it was so what did Thelma think?) Mama had 3 babies to die.  Two in Arkansas.  They are up there where Huston buried.  Papa and Mama and Mama's Father, my  Grandfather, are buried there.  He died while we were in California.  Their name is Kinzer.  Mama's Father lived with us a lot.  The Kinzer Grandma out live him and marry again.  They parted a long time before that.  That is why he is at Gass Cemetery.  Grandma died later in California with some of her people not us.  She came to see us in California.  She married again out there.  They moved to Iowa from some other place.  I have their picture if I can find it in a box.

It is 25 'til 3 now.  I wonder what you are doing.   Come and see us before your school starts.  It is too hot.  Hettie got dinner and we ate.  We slept late.  Helen and Norman sleep late about 9 or 10 o'clock. I woke up at 1 o'clock.  I could not sleep anymore.  I got a drink of water and at 1:30 I drink some orange juice.  Clara lives in Oregon.  Leona lives in California.   Leo's in California. Len died a few years ago.  I had five brothers, but they are all gone but one.  He calls us and his wife writes to us.  Leo left home because Papa made him work.  He worked in California. He lived with Leona and married out there.  He's good.

I better quit and write the rest of the story.  I lived in Iowa in three places.  I lived in Neosho, Missouri and then Arkansas.  Huston came home from the army and we married.  I was 19 and he was 23.  We were married 50 years.  I am 84 years old.  I will be 85 on September 20.  I was born in 1899.  I got married in Harrison, Arkansas.  It was the horse and buggy days.  Betty, I will look for a long letter.  Don't let Hazel see this!  Grandma
From Patsy

The divorce

During WW II my mother's sister, Helen, married Beans Garrison.   Beans was a nickname because when he was a boy he loved beans.

Beans was in the army and off he went to Europe to fight. Aunt Helen lived in Kansas City , MO.  and had a good job. Aunt Helen was the darling of my mother's family.

When the war was over the men came home and daddy bought the farm Momma and Daddy lived on for the rest of their life. Garrison had entered the war in the last days of fighting so he was away for a year or so after we had settled in our happy home on Dry Creek.

IN those days we did not have phones, everyone wrote letters.   Grandma Gaddy would write Mama about every week and Mama would write Grandma. The same applied to Aunt Helen.   That is the way our mother's family kept in touch.

One day we got a letter from Grandma Gaddy stating that Aunt Helen would be home that week end and Helen had requested that my father and mother be at Grandpa's house for a family meeting on the following Sunday.

This was strange because we were not the Rockefeller's with money and power, also we were not especially close to Mama's family.

How strange but come Sunday daddy and mama and us children went to Grandpa Gaddy's, we had dinner and visited . My bother Richard and I tried to get even with Hattie Mae , Mama's sister who was 2 years older than me.  Hettie had better things than we did because she was the only child at home.  She lorded it over on us all the time and we sought revenge by throwing rocks and other mean things ever chance we got.

After dinner aunt Helen went to Grandpa's store and bought everyone a nickel cup of ice cream.  The family sat around a picnic table in the yard. I can see it today like it was yesterday. Mama and Grandma Gaddy on one side of the table and daddy on the other side and grandpa at the end. We children were floating around the adults in case someone might not want the ice cream.

Then Helen spoke, She said I wanted you all here today to tell you I am getting a divorce!No one got a divorce in that day. We didn't know anyone who was divorced.  I remember Mama and Grandma expressing sound of distress and oh, no sounds.  Then Grandpa Gaddy spoke, he told his daughter to go back to her husband and live with him because a divorce in the family was not acceptable.

Aunt Helen said that is the problem, if I don't get the divorce he will.  Grandpa was speechless, the only grounds a man could divorce a woman in that day was adultery.

Then my father spoke and he asked Helen some question that I could not understand, I am sure Daddy worded the question so we children would not be able to understand.  Aunt Helen answered his questions, Then My father took the place as head of mothers family and he told Helen it would be better if she was to get the divorce, there by saving the family from more shame.

Aunt Helen got her divorce. The only other thing I remember about that day was that when Helen married she had received several wedding gifts and grandpa told her she must return all the gifts to him and he would return them to the gift givers.

That is how divorce first touched our family and sad to say it has not been the last time. 
Patsy Powell Poor

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised to see Helen was Helen Young in 1980...I thought it was later than that...Helen and Norman came to AZ for a visit in 1985 or 1986...We were living in a house ion Mesa at the time...We had not lived there long I think she came the fall of 86..They were driving a Caddy...I believe it was a 1980 because I remember it was a very pale yellow and that was the color popular in 1980 which would make senec...When Helen had me alone she told me he had really duped her...he told her he had lots of money...she showed me the house he was living in ...it was massave sitting on a hill and was a gated property...He married her and he bought her this new caddy for a wedding present...They went to Hawaii for their honeymoon...When she got back they were getting kicked out of the BIG house because he did not own it ..I don't remember but I think His brother had rented it for a very short spell and moved out and still had rent paid for a month or something like that...plus the wedding present was being Repossesed when they arrived home and she paid for it....at least paid enough that she could keep it...she said 'I had to pay for it.' At this point she was still very sharp.....but I did speak to her some years after that and she had really slipped in her mind.. I do remember seeing her at Grandma's with Norman and Norman really did act like a big shot.and he did call Helen his girl...I remember that.. But I do not know when that time was..Funny the things I choose to remember...

    ReplyDelete