Saturday, September 12, 2015

Powell Reunion 1948

Gathering at the farm

Back in '48 this must have been a real effort to get the whole group together, but I am ever so thankful that they did. I have this grouping of pictures all in the album together with Grandma and Grandpa. I just really remember these being very happy times, but you know - we were just as worried about paying for gas then as we are now! This is the trip I so remember when Grandpa took a bunch of us little ones into town in his old car. Just think, no seat belts, no air conditioning and I wasn't even sure Grandpa had breaks. He would run down one hill real fast so that he would make it up the next hill. He always drove right in the middle of the road and I don't think we ever met another car on the road. In my minds eye, the trip with Grandpa in his car were just as scary as any roller coaster ride I have ever been on - maybe that's why I have always had such a fear of those kind of rides.  Winnie Sneed 2006

From Sister Three!
I recall Dad saying that Grandpa believed in first come first drive with the road.  Sort of like, I can drive wherever I wish.  He did not adhere to the concept of your side and my side of the road.

By this time 1948, three of the Powell sisters smoked.  Aunt Thelma did not.  Well, they would sneak out to the out house to light up.  I am sure Grandpa saw the smoke boiling from the cracks.  In 1948, all the girls had at least one child. Daddy and Truman had a houseful!

Grandma and Grandpa Powell had a beautiful family.  
Powell Home near Sunny Lane 1948 and 2015
In 1948, Grandpa and Grandma Powell had a reunion with all their children coming home to the house near Sunny Lane!  Grandma was only 57 years old!  All three of the Sisters are older than that today.  She and Grandpa had been married 37 years.  Grandpa was 65 years old.  All the children excepting Uncle Floyd were married.  Floyd and Aunt Lovetta married in 1951.  Daddy and Truman married in 1936,  Fleta in 1938, Thelma 1942, Winnie 1944, and Betty in 1945.   The top picture is a modern day photo of the Powell home place near Sunny Lane, Arkansas.
 Above left to right:  Melton Powell, Gertrude Maples Powell then their seven children lined up in birth order--Thelma, Truman, Willis, Fleta, Winnie, Floyd, and Betty Lou.
Harold Merk took all these wonderful pictures.  I really appreciate his endeavor today!
Back row l to right:  Floyd, Truman, Daddy (Willis) and Betty
Front row l to right"  Melton, Gertrude, Fleta, Thema, and Winnie
Powell boys;  James Truman, Gilbert Willis, and Robert Floyd
Uncle Truman looks like the Powells, Dad like the Maples, and I am not sure about Floyd but I would say more Maples and Coxsey, not the Powell look.
 Girls:  Thelma Christine, Fleta Aleen, Winnie Ree, and Betty Lou
More Reunion Photos
Winnie Jo and Grandpa's bull!  See Grandma in the barn with the cream can!
 Floyd was still at home in 1948.  Don't guess he had bought half the land that Daddy owned.  Floyd is helping with all the diapers!  What a brother!
 Back row
l to right: Donnie, Jimmy, Patsy and Richard
Front row
l to right:  Frankie, Winnie, Tommie Lou, Clayton, and Suzy

 Fleta and Fleta
 Winnie with Frankie Ree and Winnie Jo
 Truman with James Reed and Jimmy Powell
Clayton with old Colonel (our Shepard cow dog), Grandpa, Grandma, Winnie and Richard!

 This is earlier than 1948.  Maybe 1945 or so.  Winnie, Betty, Fleta, and Thelma
Sister Fleta, please name the girls as I am confused.
I say Fleta, Winnie, Betty and Thelma.  I think this is the oldest of the pictures.  Much before 1948.

No comments:

Post a Comment